So, I set out to first, find some cardboard. Adventure #1.
There's an office/art supply store next to my house so I went there to find a posterboard or something like that and a big black marker. They ended up having some empty boxes sitting out from a recent delivery. Perfect! I asked the lady working there if I could have the box.
This was the conversation that followed (all in Arabic):
I want this box. Can I have it?
(strange looks ensue) You want the box?
Yes, is that a problem?
No, it's no problem. Really, you want the box?
Yes, that's OK right?
Yes yes, no problem. You want the box?
Yes.
OK, you are welcome to take it.
Thank you. Do you have a really big pen I could write on it with?
Downstairs.
Thanks.
I'm sure they were thinking, "Crazy foreigner." I ended up not finding a big marker, but a paintbrush and some black paint that worked just fine.
Next step, finding good spots to take the pictures. Adventure #2.
I traveled with my friends to the other side of town near the river to take some pictures. We decided that and the local metro system would provide a good backdrop for us.
More funny looks ensued as we asked some of the locals to hold the signs for us:
What does it say?
One day...one world (I didn't know the word for planet). People in America will see it.
OK.
We had a fun afternoon and got some great shots. Here's just a few.
Our boat driver after he had finished his afternoon prayers.
Our metro buddy and #1 sign holder!
1 comment:
This is great. You did such a good job!! I enjoy reading your updates!
Post a Comment