Living overseas is a funny thing. It does funny things to your brain. (like thinking about the last time you left a voice mail message) I always made fun of those people who came back to America after living overseas for a few years and normal everyday American things made them uncomfortable or took them by surprise. I am going to be one of those people. Also, I made fun of those people whose English grammar or spelling suffered after learning a foreign language. "It's your native language, how hard can it be to forget?" Not so hard apparently. I am one of those people. Just the other day I wrote to someone, "Glad to here it!" Really? "here it"?
But living overseas is a great thing. I mean, when was the last time you got Chiclets for change instead of the exact coins? When was the last time you saw a family of 4 on a moped? Rode in a car with no seat belts but had Tweety Bird hanging from the rear-view mirror? Or saw a woman carrying a goat on her shoulders across a busy street? I mean come on, that's pretty great right?
Every day I find another reason to love it here. There's always something new to learn or see. I've been given an incredible opportunity and I am doing my best to take full advantage of it. Because really, how many people get to say that they live in a place where donkey carts ALWAYS have the right-of-way?
1 comment:
i totally know what you mean. and you've been gone for an year and i've only been gone for 7 months now. but it does play with your mind. but when you come home i won't judge you if you cry the first time you order a dr pepper, or eat a chick-fil-a sandwich. i will just be there to hold your hand and we can thank Him for the amazing little things that are truly a beautiful thing! love you!
Post a Comment